You breathe in…you breathe out. Breathing clean and healthy air is something most people take for granted. However, sometimes the very air that sustains life can be harmful. Even air that seems clean, without odors or signs of impurity, can be misleading. Mold and other airborne particles can be microscopic and invisible to the naked eye. And, what you can’t see may be what harms you.
Even though mold can take on different forms and colors, everyone knows what it looks like when they see it. But, sometimes the first signs of a mold problem are not even visual or physical. It may be something as simple as a continuing or increasing dampness or mustiness inside a building. It’s difficult to fight something that you often can’t see until the damage has been done. And, many people dismiss their natural instincts and concerns because they don’t recognize the dangers that mold can actually cause to their health.
If you’re living or working in an environment with hazardous mold, your health can suffer. Frequent upper respiratory infections, irritation of the eyes and mucus membranes, and skin problems may all be a sign that your health is being affected by the molds. Unfortunately, these are just the minor symptoms. Some molds can lead to disability and death.
The presence of mold in your home or business can also be an expensive problem. Replacing property damaged by the mold, and thoroughly cleaning areas of the mold, can be costly. Employee downtime during cleaning, medical bills for family or employees, and possible litigation related to the problem are all financial concerns when a mold problem is discovered.
This guide is intended to be a comprehensive source for mold but cannot address every situation and hazard. And, is not intended to substitute for professional medical, technical, or legal advice. If you are experiencing a mold problem, or possible mold-related health problem, you will need to determine your own best course of action for your particular situation.