Penicillium is a mold that most people know well. Obviously, Penicillium is the mold that makes the antibiotic Penicillin. However, as beneficial as the mold may be to medical science, it isn’t desirable to have growing inside your home.
Penicillium mold is typically a blue or bluish-green color. You’ve probably seen mold growing on old bread or fruit that had that coloration and it was likely Penicillium too. But, Penicillium can also grow in places in the home that are not intended to be so easily thrown out as moldy bread and fruit.
Penicillium can grow on almost any indoor surface such as wallpaper, wood products, ceilings, and carpet. Penicillium is not picky. It will grow under most indoor conditions and isn’t limited by temperature and humidity as much as some other molds. Penicillium mold creates a strong, musty odor.
Penicillium mold has several different species. Some have very minor symptoms and others are quite serious. Common symptoms include:
- hay fever/allergic reactions: runny/stuffy nose, sneezing, itchy/water eyes, rash
- lung inflammation and irritation
- sinus infections
- asthma symptoms, such as wheezing
- suffocating or gasping sensation
Some of the risks and complications from exposure to Penicillium include:
- allergic alveolitis
- hypersensitivity pneumonitis
People with conditions like asthma and emphysema are more susceptible to mold-related illnesses, as are the very young and the very old, but anyone can be affected. Those with compromised immune systems are also at higher risk.